Propped Productions

Propped Productions Contact information, map and directions, contact form, opening hours, services, ratings, photos, videos and announcements from Propped Productions, Photographer, Cleveland, OH.

📍 Cleveland | FPV, Drone & Cinematic Video Production 🎥
Experts in Cinematic Storytelling
🎬 Creating High-Impact Visuals That Make Brands Stand Out
📩 DM for Inquiries | Let’s Create Something Epic ⬇️

08/28/2026

These clips show the aftermath at Friendship Baptist Church at East 55th Street and Central Avenue, where a major fire destroyed the 1894 building on August 21.

The church had stood on this corner for more than 130 years, first as Tifereth Israel’s Willson Avenue Temple and later as Mount Zion Congregational Church before Friendship Baptist purchased it in 1940.

What remains now is a field of brick, collapsed framing and the church sign lying in the rubble. Investigators later determined the fire was intentionally set, and a 19-year-old has been charged in connection with the case.

Midnight Art Club has brought something very different to the riverbank at Canal Basin Park.Centrum Kolossio is a large-...
08/28/2026

Midnight Art Club has brought something very different to the riverbank at Canal Basin Park.

Centrum Kolossio is a large-scale, walk-through public art installation designed by Cleveland artist David Biro with Midnight Art Club. Its laser-cut wooden panels create an almost completely different piece depending on where you stand, with patterns of light and shadow moving across the structure throughout the day.

Public art has an important place in Cleveland. It gives people a reason to stop, explore a familiar part of the city differently, and spend time together in spaces that might otherwise be passed by. Here, that happens right along the Cuyahoga, in a part of the Flats shaped for generations by transportation and industry.

The installation is free to visit at Canal Basin Park through September 13.

This view from Canal Basin Park is one of those places where several versions of Cleveland sit in the same frame.Canal B...
08/27/2026

This view from Canal Basin Park is one of those places where several versions of Cleveland sit in the same frame.

Canal Basin was the northern end of the Ohio & Erie Canal, which reached Cleveland in 1827. Canal boats, warehouses, docks and freight activity once crowded this part of the Flats, connecting Lake Erie with communities deep into Ohio. Railroads eventually overtook the canal, and in 1874 the Valley Railroad purchased and filled the old canal and basin. The surrounding Flats went on to become one of Cleveland's major industrial districts.

Now there is another temporary layer in that history.

Along the riverbank is Centrum Kolossio, the newly installed work by Cleveland-based artist David Biro and Midnight Art Club. The structure covers roughly 2,500 square feet, weighs more than 15,000 pounds and incorporates more than 500,000 inches of laser-cut paneling. It was designed as an immersive visual and performance space, with four interior rooms and several porch-like gathering areas rather than something meant to be viewed only from the outside.

The piece was first presented at Love Burn in Miami earlier this year and has now been brought home to Cleveland for its first public installation here. It opens August 28 and is scheduled to remain at Canal Basin Park through September 13. Admission is free. During the day, the cut panels throw changing patterns of light and shadow across the interior. After dark, lighting built into the structure changes its character again.

That makes this particular 360-degree view worth exploring closely. You can move from bridge engineering and remnants of Cleveland's industrial river corridor to new parkland, trails and a piece of contemporary Cleveland art occupying ground that has been reused repeatedly for nearly two centuries.

These photos show the aftermath of Friday morning's fire at the former Friendship Baptist Church at East 55th Street and...
08/24/2026

These photos show the aftermath of Friday morning's fire at the former Friendship Baptist Church at East 55th Street and Central Avenue.

The two-alarm fire broke out shortly before 2 a.m. on August 21. Flames were already coming through the roof when Cleveland firefighters arrived, and more than 14 fire companies responded. No injuries were reported, but the 1894 building was considered a total loss. The cause remains under investigation.

Friendship Baptist had occupied the building since 1940. Before that, it was Mount Zion Congregational Church, and before that it was the Willson Avenue Temple, built for Tifereth Israel in 1894 when East 55th was still known as Willson Avenue.

From above, very little of the main church remains recognizable. The roof and sanctuary are gone, heavy timber and steel are folded into the center of the debris, and thousands of bricks cover the footprint of the building.

The pile of brick, timber and debris near the center of this 360 panorama is what remained of the former Friendship Bapt...
08/24/2026

The pile of brick, timber and debris near the center of this 360 panorama is what remained of the former Friendship Baptist Church at East 55th Street and Central Avenue after a major fire early Friday morning.

Cleveland firefighters were called to the vacant church shortly before 2 a.m. on August 21. By the time crews arrived, fire had already broken through the roof. Nearly 60 firefighters from more than 14 companies responded to the two-alarm fire, and much of the roof and interior eventually collapsed. No injuries were reported. The cause was still under investigation in the immediate aftermath.

The loss is significant because the building was one of the older surviving religious structures in this part of Cleveland, but its history reaches well beyond one congregation.

The church was built in 1894 for Tifereth Israel, Cleveland's second-oldest Jewish congregation. At the time, East 55th Street was still known as Willson Avenue, and the building became known as the Willson Avenue Temple.

In the Cleveland of the 1890s. Central Avenue, originally called Garden Street, was already an important east-west route. Streetcars made the intersection accessible from other parts of the growing East Side, and the surrounding neighborhood was filling with immigrant families, shops, schools, churches and synagogues.

The temple was designed by architects Israel J. Lehman and Theodore Schmitt. It was not simply a sanctuary. The complex included classrooms, offices, a library, meeting rooms and other spaces intended to make the congregation an active part of everyday neighborhood life. That broader idea of a synagogue serving religious, educational and community purposes was an important part of Tifereth Israel's development during this period.

The congregation's move to East 55th also reflected a larger pattern in Cleveland. Jewish families who had once lived closer to downtown were gradually moving east, first through neighborhoods along Central, Woodland and Scovill, then later toward Glenville, Wade Park, Cleveland Heights and other eastern communities.

Rabbi Abba Hillel Silver became the congregation's rabbi in 1917, while Tifereth Israel was still worshiping at this corner. Silver later became one of the most prominent American Jewish leaders of the 20th century and a major advocate for Zionism. In 1947, he addressed the United Nations during the debate that preceded the creation of Israel.

By then, however, Tifereth Israel had long since left Central Avenue. The congregation moved to a new temple on Ansel Road in 1924, following many of its members farther east.

The old Willson Avenue Temple began a second life.

Mount Zion Congregational Church purchased the building in 1924 after losing its previous church to fire. Mount Zion was part of Cleveland's growing African American religious community and remained here until around 1940. Friendship Baptist Church then purchased the former temple and made it home.

That sequence tells a great deal about what was happening in the Central neighborhood during the first half of the 20th century.

Central had once been one of Cleveland's most ethnically mixed neighborhoods. Germans settled along Garden Street as early as the 1830s, and later decades brought Jewish, Hungarian, Czech, Greek, Italian and other immigrant families. Schools, businesses and religious institutions reflected that mixture.

The Great Migration changed Central dramatically. Cleveland's Black population rose from 8,448 in 1910 to more than 34,000 by 1920 as African Americans moved north in search of industrial work and opportunities that were denied to them in much of the South.

Many settled in Central, but not simply by choice. Discriminatory housing practices, restrictive real estate customs and lending barriers limited where Black Clevelanders could buy or rent. By the 1920s and 1930s, Central had become the heart of Black Cleveland.

Religious institutions followed those population shifts. Former synagogues and churches throughout the East Side were purchased by Black congregations as earlier congregations moved farther east. The transition of this building from Tifereth Israel to Mount Zion and then Friendship Baptist is a particularly clear example of that larger Cleveland story.

The panorama also looks across an intersection that once contained another major landmark.

On the northeast corner of East 55th and Central stood the Majestic.

The building opened in 1902 as the five-story Majestic Apartments and later became the Majestic Hotel. By the 1920s and 1930s, it had become one of Cleveland's most important hotels serving African American travelers.

This was at a time when Black travelers could not assume that hotels, restaurants or other businesses would serve them. The Majestic appeared in editions of the Negro Motorist Green Book, the guide used by African American motorists to locate businesses where they could safely find lodging, food, fuel and other services.

In 1944, businessmen Alonzo G. Wright, Lawrence O. Payne and William O. Walker purchased the Majestic. Under Black ownership, the hotel became an important commercial and social center in the Central neighborhood and was the largest Black-owned hotel in Ohio during its final decades.

The building contained more than hotel rooms. There were restaurants, a pharmacy, a barber shop, a beauty salon, professional offices and other businesses. Its nightclub spaces became part of Cleveland's jazz and nightlife scene under several names, including the Furnace Room, Heat Wave, Ubangi Club and Rose Room.

The Rose Room is especially remembered for its music. Pianist Duke Jenkins led the house band during the 1950s, and the club's Monday night jam sessions attracted local musicians and nationally known performers passing through Cleveland.

That history is difficult to picture when looking at the open land and scattered buildings around East 55th today. During the middle decades of the 20th century, this was a much denser urban neighborhood. Streetcars moved through the intersection, storefronts lined the streets, the church was active, the Majestic was operating across the way and music clubs were part of the nightlife along Central.

There was also a major public school nearby.

Central High School occupied a Gothic building at East 55th and Central beginning in 1878. The school was one of Cleveland's earliest public high schools and became deeply connected to the city's political, industrial and cultural history.

Langston Hughes attended Central High while living in Cleveland. His years here placed him in a school and neighborhood filled with the children of immigrant and working-class families. The school also became important in Cleveland's music history, particularly as generations of Black students entered during the early 20th century.

Jazz composer and pianist Tadd Dameron attended Central, as did musician Carman Newsome. Other people connected to the school's long history included John D. Rockefeller, Marcus Hanna, inventor Charles F. Brush, Congressman Louis Stokes and Benjamin O. Davis Jr., who later became commander of the Tuskegee Airmen.

The Central High building itself eventually disappeared as the school system changed and the neighborhood was redeveloped.

There is an even older chapter at this intersection that has nothing to do with churches, hotels or jazz.

In 1871 and 1872, professional baseball was played around Willson Avenue and Garden Street, today's East 55th and Central. The Cleveland Forest Citys played home games here as members of the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players, an organization generally recognized as the first professional baseball league.

This intersection has carried a remarkable number of different identities in roughly a century and a half. It has been associated with early professional baseball, public education, Jewish Cleveland, Black Cleveland, churches, hotels, jazz clubs, immigrant neighborhoods and the Great Migration.

Much of that landscape disappeared through a combination of population loss, demolition, urban renewal, highway-era redevelopment and changes in housing and industry.

The Majestic closed in 1967 and was later demolished. Goodwill Industries opened a rehabilitation center on the former hotel site in 1972. More recently, that property has entered another period of redevelopment, with plans that have included recognition of the Majestic's history.

Friendship Baptist lasted much longer.

The congregation continued using the former temple for decades, and the building remained one of the few physical reminders of the older East 55th and Central streetscape after so much around it had vanished. In recent years the church had been vacant, but the 1894 structure was still there, carrying visible evidence of several very different chapters in Cleveland history.

That ended with Friday morning's fire.

The former church site represents more than 130 years of religious and neighborhood history. Across the intersection stood a Green Book hotel and one of the centers of Cleveland's Black nightlife. Nearby was Central High School. Before either of those existed, professional baseball was played in the same area.

East 55th and Central looks very different now, but it has been one of those Cleveland intersections where several major parts of the city's history overlapped.

The fire removed one of the last buildings that still made that older landscape visible.

The Euclid Beach Park arch is back in the spotlight, and it looks a lot different from the way most Clevelanders remembe...
08/24/2026

The Euclid Beach Park arch is back in the spotlight, and it looks a lot different from the way most Clevelanders remember it.

The arch dates to around 1921 and became the main entrance to Euclid Beach during the park’s busiest years. For generations, passing beneath it meant the day had officially started.

Euclid Beach itself opened in 1895 and became a Cleveland institution after the Humphrey family took over in 1901. Families came for the rides, the lake, picnics, popcorn and all the little traditions that turned one visit into a lifetime memory.

The park closed in 1969, but the arch stayed behind. For decades it stood over East 159th Street. After repeated vehicle strikes, the arch was relocated in 2025 to protect it and make it the centerpiece of a new public park.

Now it sits surrounded by new walkways, landscaping and the brick plaza taking shape around it. Instead of cars passing beneath the arch, future visitors will be able to walk through it and see one of the last major pieces of Euclid Beach up close.

If you remember Euclid Beach, what is the first thing that comes back to you?

A ride? The smell of popcorn? Laughing Sal? A family picnic? A date? The lake?

Spin around this 360 panorama for a minute. Lake Erie is to the north, Lake Shore Boulevard runs through the foreground,...
08/21/2026

Spin around this 360 panorama for a minute. Lake Erie is to the north, Lake Shore Boulevard runs through the foreground, and near the center stands one of the last major physical reminders of Euclid Beach Park: the relocated entrance arch.

For generations of Clevelanders, that arch meant one thing: you had arrived.

Euclid Beach Park opened in 1895 and became one of Cleveland’s best-known amusement parks after the Humphrey family took over in 1901. Their version of the park was built around free admission, family outings, the lakefront, picnic grounds, rides and entertainment. Over the years, attractions like the Flying Turns, Thriller, Grand Carousel and Laughing Sal became part of Cleveland memory, along with the popcorn, candy kisses, company picnics and summer afternoons spent along the lake.

The arch seen here was built around 1921 as automobile traffic to the park increased. Its broad “H” shape referenced the Humphrey family, and over time the structure became one of the most recognizable parts of the Euclid Beach experience.

For those who were there, what comes back first when you think about Euclid Beach? Was it a ride, the smell of popcorn, Laughing Sal, the lake, a first date, a company picnic or a family outing? Did you ever drive or walk beneath this arch while the park was still operating?

Euclid Beach also has a more complicated history that should not be left out. Black Clevelanders faced discrimination at the park, including restrictions involving dancing, skating and bathing. Civil rights demonstrations in 1946 challenged those policies, and Cleveland City Council passed an anti-discrimination amusement park ordinance in 1947. Remembering the park accurately means preserving both the good memories and the parts of its history that were far less welcoming.

Euclid Beach operated for the final time on September 28, 1969. Afterward, rides were sold or removed, buildings disappeared, residential development occupied portions of the old property, and the lakefront changed dramatically. The arch survived and was designated a Cleveland landmark in 1973.

Its location over East 159th Street eventually became a problem. The century-old structure was struck by vehicles multiple times, including a serious collision in 2007 that heavily damaged part of it. Preserving the arch eventually meant moving it out of traffic.

On July 17, 2025, crews lifted the entire structure from its longtime foundations and moved it about 150 feet west to the former McDonald’s property along Lake Shore Boulevard. The old restaurant had been demolished years earlier, leaving the site open for a new use. The move placed the arch away from vehicle traffic and returned it to an angled position closer to how the entrance appeared during the amusement park years.

Now the City of Cleveland plans to build Euclid Beach Arch Park around it. The new public space is expected to include landscaped grounds, walkways, seating, lighting and interpretive features, with the restored arch serving as the centerpiece. Instead of cars passing beneath it, future visitors will be able to walk through it.

That makes this panorama a record of a very specific moment. The amusement park is gone. The McDonald’s that later stood here is gone. The arch has moved, but it remains close to the place it was built to serve.

The memories are what we want to preserve next.

If you remember Euclid Beach, tell us your story in the comments. About what year were you there? Who did you go with? What ride did you head for first? What food do you still remember? If you passed beneath this arch when it was still part of the operating park, we especially want to hear that memory.

If Euclid Beach closed before your time but your parents or grandparents talked about it, share those stories too. Those small details are often the pieces of local history that disappear first.

08/15/2026

Great Lakes Pro Am Round 3 Top 32 LIVE

08/15/2026

Great Lakes Pro-Am Series Round 3-Lake Erie Speedway Drift Seeding FD Sanctioned LIVE

08/14/2026

Great Lakes Pro Am Round 2 Top 32

Address

Cleveland, OH

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Propped Productions posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share

Category